What a difference twelve hours makes, huh? Yesterday we printed a story that explained that Edgar Wright quit Ant Man over disagreements over the script changes Marvel wanted. Specifically, Marvel wanted Ant Man to tie-in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe more than the standalone movie Wright had been working on since 2006.
Today the Hollywood trades are confirming what we told you yesterday that it was indeed the script that caused him to walk. Here’s what the Hollywood Reporter said:
Wright, 40, is an irreverent British filmmaker, and sources say Marvel had been unhappy with his take on Ant-Man for weeks. Originally set to begin shooting June 2, the production had been put on hiatus while Feige ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish. According to sources, Wright had been willing to make revisions earlier in the process. But the new rewrites took place without Wright’s input, and when he received Marvel’s new version early during the week of May 19, he walked, prompting a joint statement announcing his exit “due to differences in their visions of the film.”
This obviously means all those “doom and gloom” stories from certain film blogs that claimed Disney was strong-arming Marvel were false. It’s been known for a while, among people who actually pay attention to what Marvel is doing, that Feige and crew wanted Ant Man to tie in to Age of Ultron, and today’s stories from the trades confirmed what we explained in our story yesterday.
Marvel has spent the last six years building up a shared cinematic universe, and they’re not going to spend millions of dollars introducing a member of The Avengers just to have him be in his own little standalone universe with no connection to what they’ve worked so hard to establish.
The people preaching doom and gloom over this change are likely the same people who complain about Avengers references in non-Avengers movies. They obviously have never read a comic book and have no clue what a shared universe means.